Matching the Segal Education Award is Critical to the Mid-Atlantic Region
The Mid-Atlantic Region (Maryland, DC, and Delaware) benefits substantially from National Service, receiving over $30 million annually in the value of AmeriCorps members and programs. AmeriCorps members continue to serve their communities throughout their lives as they grow to be engaged community leaders in every sector of the economy.
It is in the interest of improving community life in our region to retain those people who have already dedicated a year or more of their lives to national service. Transform Mid-Atlantic’s VISTA members sustainably build our institutions’ and community partners’ capacity to solve sticky, complex, structural social problems. Matching the Segal Education Award recognizes and rewards their service, and it also incentivizes keeping these community leaders in our region.
Transform Mid-Atlantic Partners with GOSV, MHEC and others to Match the Segal Award
Transform Mid-Atlantic’s Board, The Governor’s Office on Service and Volunteerism (GOSV), and the Maryland Higher Education Commission, are spearheading an initiative encouraging all higher education institutions in Maryland to challenge all institutions in the region to become a School of National Service by June 2022 and fully match the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award that AmeriCorps members earn for completing a year of service! Institutions that have already made a match are listed here.
“This initiative is one way we demonstrate our institutions’ mission for civic responsibility and repair future leaders to meet the challenges of a complex and changing global society.”
– Ron Nowaczyk, President, Frostburg State University and Board Chair, Transform Mid-Atlantic
The Benefits of Making a Match?
Many first-generation students receive financial aid to get an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree. Matching the Segal Education Award helps need-based students to continue to graduate school.
Benefits for Institutions
- Recruit and retain AmeriCorps Alums as graduate students, and your own alums!
- Students with a Segal Award are likely to be alums your institution is proud of.
- Students who have established a pattern of giving, give back to their alma maters!
- Matching demonstrates your institution’s mission to improve the larger community.
- Matching is an equity issue and helps first-generation students afford graduate degrees.
Benefits for AmeriCorps Alums
- Makes your institution more affordable and attractive.
- Demonstrates your institution’s commitment to civic and community engagement.
How Can My Institution Make a Match?
To learn more about how to become a School of National Service, contact us.
Maryland Institutions Leading This Initiative
There are many ways to provide a full or partial match of the Segal Education Award: prioritize registration, waive admission fee, defer admission, housing discount, tuition discount, Merit Awards, and offer additional benefits. Institutions across Maryland are demonstrating their support for National Service by committing to become a School of National Service.